Many users do not always have access to a desktop computer or laptop, which is required to safely install iOS 8.0 firmware on Apple devices. So what can we do here? Is there any way one can update to 8.0 without iTunes player or a computer? The answer is yes.
In this article, we will guide you to the right sources to download and install the final iOS 8 firmware on your device. We have tested this method on iPhone 5/4s and iPad mini.
iOS 8 Update: What You Need
Everything you need to know about iOS firmware and the procedure to install firmwares has been explained in our updated iOS 8 installation guide. We recommend you to read that article and consume all the iOS 8 related information. Still, if you want a quick version of common things you need to know, here we go:
- Have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with you
- Make enough free space for installation
- Check if your Apple device supports iOS 8
- Backup data to iCloud
- Get a stable Internet connection (WiFi, LTE, 4G, 3G, etc)
- Relax — you are only updating iOS software
Take Note Before You Start
Note 1: Only Apple iPhone (5s, 5c, 5, 4s model), iPad (2, 3, 4, Air, Mini model), iPod Touch (5G) devices can get iOS 8.0 firmware.
Note 2: We will be updating from iOS 7 firmware to iOS 8 firmware. You need at least 30 minutes to 2 hours of your time, depending on the Internet speed you have.
Note 3: Get a reliable Internet connection. So many firmware updates fail because of slow Internet speed. Also note that this installation process requires no iTunes software or any desktop computer or laptop.
Note 4: Make minimum free space for iOS 8 installation. If you are going to update iPad to iOS 8, you need at least 6GB of space. If you are updating iPhone, you need at least 5GB of free storage space. No installation space leads to error message: “This update cannot be installed because it requires at least 4.6GB of storage. You can make more storage available by deleting items in Usage Settings.” So make enough space or wipe current data (with a backup, of course) and do a fresh install.
iOS 8 Update: The Final Installation Process
We have two ways for installing iOS 8: first, you can backup data and install the firmware right from your device. Second: you can backup data, delete content (photos, music, documents), and install the firmware. And then you can restore the backed up files.
Follow second method of installation only if you do not have enough free space.
How To Install iOS 8.0 Update: The installation process involves going to Software Update option from your Apple device. Here is what you should do: Turn ON WiFi/4G/3G Internet -> Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update.
Follow the complete tutorial here: Install iOS 8 Wirelessly Or Over-The-Air
- Problems are common. You may encounter problems like Software Update Failed, Checking For Update message, or Update Requested and Preparing Update.
- If you can get access to a computer which has the new iTunes player installed, and you don’t want to “delete” apps and games to make space, we recommend you to install via iTunes (it is the best way to install iOS 8)
- Please make sure your device supports iOS 8. Old iPhones cannot get iOS 8 firmware on their devices.