It’s great to have your favourite song as your ringtone in your iOS 8 loaded iPhone. But iPhone users would know that setting a song as your ringtone isn’t that easy a task. So, most of you must have settled for the default ringtones which come with your phone. How boring! But hey, there’s a way of customising your ringtone.
By the end of this article, you’ll become a pro at doing so. So, shall we get started? Follow the steps below to create ringtones almost effortlessly using Apple’s iTunes player.
Steps To Create Ringtone For iPhone Using Your Favorite Song:
- Launch iTunes & right-click the song (from your iTunes library) you want to use as a ringtone. Click Get Info.
- Select the Options tab and enter the Start & Stop times.
- Note: The duration shouldn’t be more than 30 seconds.
- Click OK. Right-click the track again, and select Create AAC version. iTunes will convert the song which will appear as a duplicate track of 30 seconds.
- Right-click the track again to make sure you uncheck the start and stop times to return them to their original times. Else, it will only play the section between your start and stop times of your AAC version.
- Now right-click the short ringtone track (you can find it under ‘Recently Added’) and click Show in Windows Explorer.
- Change its extension from .m4a to .m4r by choosing to rename it. Select ‘Yes’ when the pop-up asks if you want to change the extension.
- Double-click the file to add it to the Tones section of your iTunes library (or add it using the ‘Add file to library’ menu option in iTunes).
- Mac Users, this step is for you because the ringtone doesn’t easily show up under ‘Tones’.
- Delete the ringtone ‘song’ entry from your iTunes Music library. Then double-click on the .m4r file in Finder and it should show up in Tones.
- If that doesn’t work, try moving the .m4r file anywhere outside your iTunes folder on your hard drive. Then double-click on it for it to show up under Tones.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC and click ‘iPhone’ when iTunes launches. Click ‘Tones’ from the main menu and make sure Sync Tones is checked. If you choose ‘selected tones’ rather than ‘All tones’ make sure you tick the tones you want to appear on your iPhone. Click ‘Apply’ to start the sync.
- iTunes 12 users, don’t click on the phone icon. Under tones, select the tones you want to sync by using the Ctrl key. Once they get highlighted in blue, drag them over the phone icon. A list will appear on the left: just drop the tones on the device and syncing will start.
- Once you’re done syncing, go to Settings > Sounds > Ringtone. Your track will appear as at the top of the list, above the default Ringtones.
- Voila, it’s done!
A romantic Bollywood number like Pehla Nasha or a classic like Hotel California – which song did you choose? Whatever your choice is, we’re sure it’s amazing to have it as your ringtone. Can’t wait to get a call, right?