Apple has released a new beta version of iOS 8.1 firmware for registered iOS developers. Compared to previous beta version (iOS 8.1 Beta 1), iOS 8 Beta 2 firmware is a minor upgrade that fixes bugs and makes the core iOS 8 more stable.
Build number of iOS 8.1 Beta 2: 12B407
What’s New in iOS 8.1 Beta 2
Released on October 7th, 2014 (today) – Apple says the new iOS 8 Beta 2 contains “bug fixes and improvements.” From the changelog, here are the major features:
- Music syncing is now possible – this fix was already available in the previous beta version.
- iCloud Photo Library settings are available – you can either select or de-select this option from your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Change in Address Book framework – now developers can use the new API that does not require user’s contact list.
- WiFi connection issues have been fixed – no more random WiFi dropouts.
- Sluggish third-party keyboard issues have been fixed – now these custom keyboards opens quickly and feels snappier.
- Change in Safari browser’s performance – it loads webpages quickly.
- App Store rarely gives you blank pages – now it loads faster with this beta 2 update.
Install & Download iOS 8.1 Beta 2
Warning: Only registered iOS developers should install iOS 8.1 Beta 2 on their Apple devices.
If you are using the iOS betas already, you can perform an OTA update from your Apple device. You can also get iOS 8.1 Beta 2 files from Apple’s server – note that you have to login from your registered developer account.
The Zip file must be extracted to get IPSW file, which is then transferred to your device via iTunes (see: IPSW installation).