iOS 8 Beta 2 Features & Problems
Last updated: August 29, 2014 at 4:20 am
Right after announcing and releasing iOS 8 Beta 1 firmware, Apple released a new beta version of iOS 8 for its developers. It’s called iOS 8 Beta 2 and — as you can guess — it tries to fix the problems and ongoing issues with the previous iOS firmware.
Question is simple: Is iOS 8.0 Beta 2 doing a great job?
We don’t think so. In fact, after a quick test, we felt iOS 8 Beta 2 packs in more problems than goodies. At first, it was frustrating. Then we got used to it. That said, here are the features and the problems in iOS 8 Beta 2 software:
iOS 8 Features: What’s new in iOS 8 Beta 2?
Features of iOS 8 Beta 2 Software
- New widget added in the Notification Center. It’s a calendar that you can use anytime by swiping your finger from bottom to the top of the screen.
- Text size in the predictive keyboard is now large and visible.
- The camera and voice buttons are blue in color. We believe this color blends in well with the current iOS 8 design.
- Performance on iPhone 5 is better compared to iOS 8 Beta 1’s performance.
- Quick Website Search option is available in the Safari app. This helps you find information within a website by providing a keyword.
- Videos are not stored in the camera roll anymore. Clips you record or send goes right into your Messages app.
- Now you can select multiple messages and mark them as “read.”
- 1Password app finally works!
- A new Family Purchase section is now visible in the Updates section.
- Deleted photos are no longer available in the “Recently Deleted” section.
- Safari on iPad has a new pinch gesture that gives you an overview of the other tabs.
- Home Data is a new option available in your Settings.
- Podcast app is available with the iOS firmware. In other words, it is installed by default.
For more features, look at our iOS 8 features page.
iOS 8 Beta 2 Problems
Problems & Bugs With iOS 8.0 Beta 2 Firmware
- iTunes Store is broken in iOS 8 beta 2 version.
- Message app freezes and has many bugs. Even the keyboard is slow and unresponsive sometimes.
- The Photos app crashes unexpectedly.
- The Phone app frequently crashes, especially when you try to pick up a call. This has forced many people to downgrade to iOS 7 firmware.
- Whenever you try to hit the Home button twice, you have the option to select another app. Tap and the app crashes. Multitasking isn’t a smooth affair in iOS 8 Beta 2.
- Sleep/wake button is not working, and it can get very annoying.
- Unusual flickering is visible on the screen when using the default Apple apps.
- Using Facebook app drains the battery life of iOS 8.
- Message app freezes frequently.
- You will find a lag when dialing a number to call.
- Watching videos, even from YouTube app, is not possible. Some users have noted that iOS 8 Beta 2 cannot play videos.
- On Twitter whenever you type emojis (smilies), the app crashes. Same is the case with any messaging app.
- Conversation freezes and you cannot open the keyboard. Only reboot acts as a solution.
- Mail app crashes.
- Whenever you are downloading OTA, you may receive “preparing update” message. It can take up to 30 minutes or more for that message to disappear.
- Quick Reply does not work in landscape mode.
- ESPN SportsCenter app crashes, like many other third-party apps.
- As mentioned earlier, multitasking on this beta firmware is broken, and switching back and forth is impossible.
- Connection problem in setting and using VPN.
What next? Go to our iOS 8 Beta Download page to get iOS 8.0 Beta 1 version. Or read these common iOS 8 problems.
iOS 8 Beta 1 is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. See the “iOS 8 compatibility” list for more information.
More features of iOS 8 Beta: Beta 1 | Beta 2 | Beta 3 | Beta 4 | Beta 5